Friday, April 20, 2007

Origins

Several years ago, my best friend and I discussed writing a book. Our idea was to take all facets of male life, and compile them into one condensed volume. An instruction guide to life as a man, if you will, tentatively titled The MANual. We brainstormed on and off about this for several years, and one night 4 years ago, it truly began to take shape. We were sitting around with several friends and began drinking. As it happened, the only beer in the apartment was Corona. When the host brought us all the first round, in typical fashion every bottle had a lime wedge stuck in it. I made a joking comment about how no self respecting man would ever put fruit in his beer, and it sparked a conversation about what else no man should ever do. We realized that we had something, that this was the catalyst to bring our book to fruition. Over the next week or so, the idea morphed from a book to a website. We would take all the individual chapters we wanted to include in the book, make them stand alone articles, and publish them on the web site. The website would be titled "Hold The Lime", in reverance to the idea that truly got it rolling, and what became the first article.

As time went on, the enthusiasm faded. A few attempts were made to get everything going, but life kept getting in the way. Here we are now, 4 years later, and all that is left to show of what was once an absolute obsession are the articles I had written. In that time, the articles have become dated to some degree, in the sense that I am not the same person I was when I originally wrote them. In the time that has passed, I have gotten married, started a family, and become the responsible adult that I never thought possible. I continually revist the articles, though, and still have the desire to complete this project, which I will now do through this blog. I will finally publish all the old stuff, and begin to write new ones.

Enjoy.

V

No comments: